It will help to give some history around how Bonsai came into being.
Bonsai is the Japanese art of growing and training miniature trees in pots, developed from the traditional Chinese art form of penjing. Unlike penjing, which utilizes traditional techniques to produce entirely natural scenery in small pots that mimic the grandiose shapes of real life scenery, the Japanese "bonsai" only attempts to produce small trees that mimic the shape of real life trees. Similar versions of the art exist in other cultures, including the miniature living landscapes of Vietnamese Hòn non bộ. It was during the Tang dynasty, when penjing was at its height, that the art was first introduced in Japan.(Credit to Wikipedia)
Bonsai IT has been specifically developed for the novice Bonsai grower to get involved in this rewarding and fun hobby that allows you to express your artistic talent in the tree you are growing. A few important things to note before we get started.
- Bonsai seeds are regular tree seeds and are not “special” seeds for growing bonsai trees. If planted in the soil and left to grow they will grow into mature trees.
- Growing bonsai trees need not be an expensive hobby. Whilst some trees are worth huge amounts of money you can start the hobby with a simple kit like Bonsai IT which makes getting started easy and cost effective.
- The Bonsai IT range comprises 15 trees specifically chosen for ease of growth, beauty and the many styles they can be made into.
- There are several brands of kits on the market. Bonsai IT sets itself apart from the competition by offering all you need to get started and quality products. We also offer full backup from our team of qualified horticultural staff.
- On each kit we have noted whether the tree is Indigenous to South Africa or Exotic to other parts of the world.
- The kit is both a great gift as a once off gift or as gift that keeps on giving. For this reason we have started an annual subscription where you pay a once off fee and a kit will be sent to the lucky recipient every quarter. When purchased once off a delivery fee will be applied to the order. When purchased as a subscription the delivery fee for the 4 quarterly deliveries will be included in the cost (hence why the price is slightly more per kit as the shipping charge has been built into the cost).
We look forward to welcoming you to the Bonsai IT family. Should you wish to purchase kits for delivery now please click here or click here should you wish to purchase a subscription for the delivery of 4 kits over the year.
About the Author
Grant Muller is an avid gardener with over 30 years experience having grown a wide variety of plants from seed with a special emphasis on growing your own fresh food. Grants' ethos is that growing your own should be a natural part of life and should encompass the whole family. Grant also has a special interest in growing chillies, succulents, ornamentals and trees.