Coco Peat / Coir - 600g Compressed BricksRegular price R32.00 Save Liquid error (product-template line 117): -Infinity%
Coco Peat is also known as coir, coco fiber or coir peat. It comes from the mesocarp of the coconut and is intended for hydroponics and/or substrate. It is a consistent media for long term growing. Coco Peat Bricks have excellent water retention ability and can be used multiple times.
Coco peat finest particles can be used in their pure form or blended with other substrates for hydroponic purposes: Vegetables Landscaping: coco peat is 100% natural, totally organic and a removable source, eco-friendly.
- Coco peat has a high water holding capacity (eight times its weight) combined with high
- porosity (95%) allows an excellent root aeration oxygenation, producing more functional
- roots therefore improving plant nutrition and healthier plants.
- Excellent re-wetting.
- Light weight, easy handling.
- Homogenous and stable structure; long lasting, superior to peat.
- Totally organic, 100% natural, renewable source.
- pH slightly acid: 5,5-6,5, suitable for most plants species.
- Lightweight material ideal for reducing transport costs.
Coco peat generally has an acidity in the range of pH – 5.5 to 6.5. It is a little on the acidic side for some plants, but many popular plants can tolerate this pH range. Coco peat can be re-used up to three times with little loss of yield. Coco peat from diseased plants should not be re-used.
Cocopeat, pressed into Coco peat bricks, has a negatively charged complex, surrounded by a couple of positively charged ions: sodium and potassium. Because these elements stick to the complex, like iron to a magnet, there is no danger to the plant root initially. The problem starts when fertilizing with calcium. The calcium will push the potassium and sodium aside and take their position. Consequently, the calcium that is connected to the complex won’t be available to the plant, while sodium and potassium that are released into the water will be available.
To avoid this problem, the Cocopeat needs to be buffered with Calcium Magnesium Nitrate (Cal Mag) and then flush/rinse before using.
A 650g compressed brick expands to 6.5l litres of growing media when 3.25 litres of water is added to it.
Please note that due to the manufacturing process of the bricks that each brick weighs between 550g and 700g.
This sale is for 1 x brick weighing between 550 grams and 700 grams.